Many times people ask me: how do you keep on writing? Don’t you get blocked? What do you do?
Truth: I rarely run out of ideas. It’s partly because I’m a Gemini (I always credit astrology) but it’s also because I’m curious by nature and always on the lookout for something shiny.
If you’re stuck on an idea desert, here are some of my current sources of writing inspiration:
- The weather is nice at the time I’m writing this so you can bet I’m getting out of the house when I can. A short walk around the block clears my brain – and nature never lets me down. (Picture above is from a beauty in our yard.)
- I read. A LOT. Books I’m enjoying right now are Becoming Dangerous: Witchy Femmes, Queer Conjurers, and Magical Rebels and Emergent Strategy: Shaping Change, Changing Worlds.
- Music. I scour places for new music but also go on kicks from time to time. Lately: non-stop Leonard Cohen and the latest from Tyler the Creator.
- I love photojournalism. Pictures from around the world get my creative juice flowing. The Washington Post always has thoughtful series over at their In Sight section.
- Real life. Yep, life has plenty of lessons and weird experiences – there is plenty of inspiration coming at me as soon as I step out of bed. (My husband thinks I overshare.)
- Tapping. What’s that? EFT – Emotional Freedom Technique. A bit of daily tapping and creative blocks begone! Gala Darling has a whole series of tarot-inspired tapping videos over on YouTube called High Vibe Honey. GENIUS.
These are just a few ideas. Really, there are endless ways to spark your creative urges. The next time you find yourself saying “I don’t know what to write about” try one of my suggestions and see what bubbles up. I’d love to hear what’s getting your creativity popping lately. Hit me up on Twitter and tell me what’s working for you.
My husband is my partner in creative idea generating stuff!
Good to know: 10 common travel scams – and how to avoid them.
Entrepreneurs! Summer is just weeks away – do you have a PLAN to avoid the summer slowdown? Join Racheal Cook VIRTUALLY from the comfort of your home office to create your 90 Day Plan on June 14th! The CEO Retreat is my FAVE thing! Use the code TAROTLADY to save some $$$! <-one of the rare aff links because I know firsthand how magical it is to work with Racheal!
Check out the Modern Seer Tarot – and help bring this gorgeous deck to life!
I love this convo between two of my favorites: Debra Smouse interviews Briana Saussy!
Speaking of Debra Smouse, she has a BRILLIANT new program out on June 1st: Finally Love Your Life. If you’ve been feeling meh about your life, you’ll defo want in on this!
Jenna Matlin answers the question: Are distance readings any good?
Sick of the hustle? Want to run your creative business in a mindful, flowing way? Sign up for Jacquelyn Tierney’s The Art of Slow (and get a subscription to the AstroBiz Digest as a gift!)
From fellow Milwaukee resident Minerva Spiegel: Tarot for Self-Care: How to Use Tarot to Manifest Your Best Self.
Looking forward to this: The Language of Tarot: A Proven System for Reading the Cards.
Defo want this from Leeza Robertson: Pathworking the Tarot: Spiritual Guidance & Practical Advice from the Cards.
Upcoming from Gabrielle Bernstein: Super Attractor: Methods for Manifesting a Life Beyond Your Wildest Dreams.
This goody from Matt Auryn is at the top of my wishlist: Psychic Witch: A Metaphysical Guide to Meditation, Magick & Manifestation.
Marie Forleo is dropping this soon: Everything Is Figureoutable.
The Tarot Coloring Book is the best starting point for tarot newbies. Learn to read the cards while coloring them in!
If astrology leaves your brain jumbled, my upcoming astrology book will straighten you out: Astrology for Real Life: A Workbook for Beginners (A No B.S. Guide for the Astro-Curious). You can pre-order it now!
JULY 2nd, 2019: I’m teaching at New Renaissance Books in Portland, Oregon on July 2nd at 6:30. Tarot Cards for Shadow Work – Together we’ll explore shadow work, Tarot archetypes, Birth Cards, finding the good in “bad” cards – and the dark side in the “good” ones. You’ll come away with knowledge about your Tarot Birth Card and some suggestions for making peace with your shadow.
JULY 7th, 2019: If you’re in the Bay Area, join Chris Zydel and me on July 7th for Brushes + Cards + Shadows An Intuitive Painting and Tarot Workshop. It will be EPIC! SOLD OUT!
JULY 26th, 2019: Join me and Shaheen on Friday, July 26th for a Tarot For Troubled Times book launch party! Where: Free Spirit Crystals in Butler, Wisconsin. What time: 7 PM. Cost: Free!
JULY 27th 2019: Tarot for Troubled Times with Shaheen Miro and Theresa Reed. Learn about shadow work, archetypes, tarot birth cards, and remedies for tough times. Boston Tea Room in Ferndale, Michigan. Class starts at 4:00 PM. Cost $60.00.
OCTOBER 4th, 2019: ASTROLOGY FOR REAL LIFE BOOK LAUNCH PARTY! Where: Where: Free Spirit Crystals in Butler, Wisconsin. What time: 7 PM. Cost: Free!
OCTOBER 12, 2019: Crash Course in Tarot. Where: 22 Teachings, Los Angeles. What time: 12 PM – 2 PM. Cost: $40.00. All the details are here.
OCTOBER 13, 2019: Crash Course in Astrology. Where: 22 Teachings in Los Angeles. What time: 12 PM – 2 PM. Cost $40.00. All the details are here.
What I’m Grateful For:
Peace of mind
I can finally turn the furnace off
Almost time for The Handmaid’s Tale to come back!
Music in the background
A big, sugary drink
Soundtrack for 5/25/19:
Earfquake by Tyler the Creator
images from stock photography and personal collection
© Theresa Reed | The Tarot Lady 2019