In just a few weeks, the ball will drop, the kick-off to a new year. It’s customary to reflect on the year that was while we anticipate the one that could be. You might even set resolutions. I say screw that. Instead, start plotting out the cool stuff, the spiritual adventures, and all the meaningful things you WANT to do. Here are some ideas of things to try in 2024 (my short list):
1. Take a train. This past year, I took a train to New York, and it was a magical experience. I felt safe close to the ground in my own little room. I’m going to do it again!
2. Cook new cuisine. I’m about to grab Laotian for lunch. I am interested in learning how to cook it.
3. Tidy up your books. One of my goals for the year. I love going through my books.
4. Get outside more. As a writer, I spend too much time indoors. I want to breathe in fresh air as much as possible.
5. Donate to a good cause. I donate to a lot of great charities – am widening my giving next year.
6. Wake up and declare every day will be a good day. I already do this every day. I like starting off my morning on a positive note.
7. Surprise people with random gifts. I sent a few of my closest friends some amazing olive oil this year because I thought they needed to try it. They loved it!
8. Sing as loud as possible. I am a terrible singer – but who cares?
9. Keep a daily diary. I have a little One Line A Day journal I’ve kept for years. I am kinda random with it, but trying to be more regular.
10. Try your hand at poetry. Sometimes I write quick poetic lines in my journal!
11. Start that hobby. Goal: take that photography class.
12. Buy new sheets. Still trying to find cute ones.
13. Spend time with your elders. Every year they are here is a gift.
14. Discover new music. I’m always looking for recommendations!
15. Eject the shit disturbers from your world. No one needs toxic jerks in their world. I’ve been great at booting these types!
16. Send handwritten notes. One of my favorite things to do. I’ve fallen off the habit, but plan on doing it more this year!
17. Reduce your carbon footprint. I have slowly reduced mine down to almost zero driving. One of the benefits of my recluse life!
18. Try a new restaurant in a new town. Doing that today!
19. Say no to events you don’t want to attend. I’ve gotten good at this. Heh heh.
20. Stretch more. I can never stretch enough.
21. Let others know you love them. I always tell my husband and kids that I love them. Often multiple times in a day!
22. Spend less time on social media. I’m hardly ever on those platforms now. I do a “cut and run” plus keep the apps hidden on my phone.
23. Take responsibility. The more accountable you are, the more likely you don’t cause harm. Something I strive for.
24. VOTE. Help others register to vote. This will be the most consequential vote in our lifetime. Let’s do this!
So those are some of my suggestions. What about you? What are some of the things you want to do next year?
Tess Whitehurst shares my Three Things, Right Now spread over on her blog.
The year ends on 12/31/23. Find out what that means right here.
Get ready to rumble: the tarot card for 2024 is Strength.
Here is the mother of all magickal planners: 2024 Magicae Optimum Daily Grimoire.
More RIP: Shane McGowan passed away too.
My latest at the Old Farmer’s Almanac: The Best Christmas Cookies for Every Sign of the Zodiac.
From the Brevity Blog: What to Do When the Vitriol Comes for You.
Santos finally got expelled – and he’s throwing a hissy fit on the way out the door.
Here’s what you need to know to succeed on Substack.
I love watching documentaries about cults.
From Aliza Kelly: Maybe Plan Your Month Around the Phases of the Moon.
I need this in my world: Why Are Arabian Perfumes So Special? Here Are the Reasons TikTok Users Love These Fragrances.
This needs to happen: Passing Paid Family Leave Is Polling Better Than Ever.
I always chuckle at Dingus of the Week.
Wonder what to get the mystical peeps on your holiday list? I have you covered with my annual shopping guide.
Check out this upcoming goody from Tess Whitehurst: Radiant: Embracing Your Power and Beauty at Midlife.
Fantasizing about gardens: The Money-Saving Gardener: Create Your Dream Garden at a Fraction of the Cost.
I was gifted these cards, and I LOVE them: Universal Folk Oracle.
I wasn’t expecting much from this deck, but holy cats, it is COOL: Black & White Rider-Waite® Tarot Deck.
Finally, my ideal tarot journal is here: The Weiser Tarot Journal: Guidance and Practice.
This human journey can be challenging. Grief, loss, illness…it’s a lot to process. Tarot can help you navigate the hard stuff: The Cards You’re Dealt: How to Deal when Life Gets Real (A Tarot Guidebook).
I hate it when astrologers claim an astrology chart is “bad.” Pfft. No matter how tough your aspects, you still have agency: Twist Your Fate: Manifest Success with Astrology and Tarot.
Sick of seeing your kids glued to a screen? Get them a tarot deck of their own: Tarot For Kids.
A strong foundation will help you become a more intuitive tarot reader. Start here: Tarot: No Questions Asked: Mastering the Art of Intuitive Reading.
Prefer to listen to your tarot lessons? Check this out: Tarot: No Questions Asked: Mastering the Art of Intuitive Reading is available as an audiobook.
If you think you can’t grok astrology, think again – and get this book: Astrology for Real Life: A Workbook for Beginners (A No B.S. Guide for the Astro-Curious).
There is an audio version if you prefer: Astrology For Real Life.
A new year means a new tarot deck: The Uncommon Tarot: A Contemporary Reimagining of an Ancient Oracle.
Winter evenings spent in front of the fire with cocoa, crayons, tarot and The Tarot Coloring Book are the coziest.
Gear up for election season with: Tarot For Troubled Times.
If you cannot find a tarot deck you like, make your own: Create Your Own Tarot Cards: A step-by-step guide to designing a unique and personalized tarot deck. <-Cards are included!
I’ve been using astrology to guide my business for years. Now you can use this ancient science to superpower your biz too: The AstroBiz Digest.
If you like getting your astrology and tarot fix on the go, you need this: Sign up here.
Write better. Get inspired by fellow authors. Learn about the publishing industry and how to market. The Metaphysical Author’s Confidential – a newsletter for mystical writers: The Metaphysical Author’s Confidential. Essays and lessons on writing, publishing, and marketing your magical book.
Classes and Events
Join my Patreon Community! I am serving up extended card-of-the-day interpretations, astrological tidbits, community tarot practice, political astrology, early sneak peeks at horoscopes….and more. Higher tiers get access to live classes, replays of previous classes, mentoring, and more.
What I’m Grateful For:
Long calls with old friends
Parties with people I love
Watching my plants grow
Thick hand lotion
Soundtrack for 12/2/23
Make Way by Protomartyr
© Theresa Reed | The Tarot Lady 2023
images from stock photography and personal collection
*Some of the links are affiliate links. I receive a small fee if you purchase, but this does not affect the price of the item.*