The world seems to be in flux right now. Tensions are high, people are mean, boundaries are being crossed left and right. For those of us who work in the metaphysical realm, we know that during times like this, good spiritual hygiene is necessary. Without it, stress levels elevate and suddenly you find yourself walking around full of rage or feeling depleted.
So what is good spiritual hygiene?
It means taking impeccable care of yourself, setting strong energetic boundaries, and regular energy cleansing. This is something mystical workers practice on the regular, because our work tends to be draining. If we want to remain spiritually healthy and ready to help our clients, we must have excellent, consistent practices in place.
Even if you do not work in the sacred arts, you might find these practices to be helpful when life seems to be moving in a scary, unpredictable direction:
- Set aside time for self-care every day. This might be quiet time spent in meditation or a long, hot bubble bath at the end of the day. Self-care will look different person to person so do not assume you have to do what the pros recommend or spend a lot of money. For me, self-care means cooking a marvelous meal and reading a book. Simple, cheap, but satisfying.
- Keep negative people out of your world. That may not be easy to do, depending on your lifestyle and who is in your orbit. If you can eliminate difficult folks, do it. If you’re stuck with them (ex: your mom), then create boundaries and enforce them. Those boundaries could include limited time with them or agreeing to not discuss certain subjects.
- Cleanse, cleanse, cleanse. Regular cleansing of your environment and person will help you to release negative vibes. Clean your house from top to bottom. Open the windows and light a sage wand or other incense that you like. Move the sage wand around your body to cleanse any psychic residue from anyone you’ve encountered. Walk around your house, allowing the smoke from the incense to waft through each room. Be sure to let the smoke reach each corner. Do this in the morning and the evening.
- A few dabs of essential oils on your wrists and temples or spritzes from Angela Mary Magick’s amazing waters will protect your aura.
- I am obsessed with Gala Darling’s High Vibe Honey videos. Gala shares weekly tapping techniques that I swear by. Tapping, also called EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique) is a system of tapping meridian points while stating affirmations. I highly recommend this!
- Lastly, regular energy work will fortify your aura and keep you grounded. My favorite book for this is Energy Medicine: Balancing Your Body’s Energies for Optimal Health, Joy, and Vitality by Donna Eden. The practices in this book take very little time but are effective. The morning routine is my fave way to get my mojo flowing in the right direction!
These things may seem simple but they work – and will help you to function in times like these.
Other posts that you might find helpful:
Want to learn more? You can preorder Tarot For Troubled Times, a book I co-wrote with Shaheen Miro. We share tarot techniques and spreads as well as rituals and affirmation to help you navigate a challenging world – or time in your life.
TaoZen just got a new fake fur blanket. He’s loving it!
From Roxane Gay: I Thought Men Might Do Better Than This.
I just ordered the OK Tarot Deck.
Career strategist Ellen Fondiler just opened the doors to Relaunch, a six-week program to bring fresh energy into your life and career.
According to Refinery29, Bradley Cooper & Lady Gaga’s A Star Is Born Should Be The Last.
From Jane Stern: My Love of Tarot Is a Family Tradition.
Wisdom from Tanya Geisler: It Doesn’t Matter What Took You So Long.
Good to know: Mindfulness May Help Improve Menopause Symptoms.
Wondering what the heck a conjunction means in astrology? I’ve got you covered in this short lesson.
Good stuff from Little Red Tarot: The Garden | 103 ways to build a feminist online tarot shop.
Damn, I want to win this: be Nikolaj Coster-Waldau’s VIP date at the Game of Thrones premiere!
I want to go here: You Can Rent This Cottage Made Entirely of Chocolate.
You’ve still got time to win a copy of The Art of Tarot!
Not that I want to try this: A Complete Guide to Bringing Animals on Flights.
Want to know how to ask a good tarot question? Listen in to my advice here.
Wanna start a podcast? This class from Andrea Scher might help you out: The Mighty Little Podcast Course.
In only a few days, the Starman Tarot will be HERE.
Next March, Rachel Pollack’s classic Seventy-Eight Degrees of Wisdom: A Tarot Journey to Self-Awareness (A New Edition of the Tarot Classic) will be re-released.
This looks yummy: Delish: Eat Like Every Day’s the Weekend.
Michelle Obama is IN: Chasing Light: Michelle Obama Through the Lens of a White House Photographer and Becoming.
Can’t make heads or tails out of tarot cards? Get The Tarot Coloring Book and see which end is up!
My upcoming classes:
Astrology for Total Beginners: learn the basics of natal chart interpretation. This two-hour workshop will get you up to speed on what all that astrology stuff is about! Join me at Boston Tea Room. Date: Wednesday, October 10th. Location: Ferndale, Michigan.
Intuitive Tarot Reading at Boston Tea Room. Date: Sunday, October 14th. Location: Ferndale, Michigan.
What I’m Grateful For:
Gorgeous fall weather
New tarot decks
Chowder in the evening
Orange is the New Black
Soundtrack for 9/29/18:
Yes, I’m Changing by Tame Impala
© Theresa Reed | The Tarot Lady 2018
images from stock photography and personal collection